The Kiwanis Foundation of Allentown, Pa. was incorporated on November 12, 1952. At the time it was established, the statement of purpose was:
“The devoting of such funds as it may receive exclusively for educational, charitable, religious, literary and/or scientific purposes”
In those early years, our Foundation was involved in a variety of community projects, including the building of a cottage at Girl Scout “Camp Mosey Wood” in 1955, and the purchase of a mobile canteen for the Salvation Army in 1958.
Over the years, Kiwanis Club of Allentown members have given generously to our Foundation, through donations, bequests, and memorials. This has enabled us to provide grants totaling nearly $1 million to a variety of community service projects, and college scholarships to deserving students from William Allen, Allentown Central Catholic, and Salisbury High Schools.
The Foundation is comprised of all members in good standing of the Kiwanis Club of Allentown. It is governed by a Board of Trustees, which makes decisions on the expenditure of funds for grants and scholarships.
The Foundation Board of Trustees for 2018-2019 includes:
- Bob Ashcraft, President
- Todd Siegfried, Vice-President & Chair of Service Committee
- Peg Harp, Treasurer
- Tom Harp, Secretary
- Young Chang
- Tracy Davis
Each fiscal year, beginning October 1, our Foundation awards grants to worthwhile projects and programs in our community. Individual grants usually do not exceed $1,500, although periodically we have awarded grants of a more substantial nature for special projects of significant value to the local, as well as global, community. In 1997, our Foundation contributed $50,000 towards Kiwanis International’s Worldwide Service Project to eliminate Iodine Deficiency Disorder in developing countries. In 2001, we provided a $40,000 grant to the Salvation Army towards the cost of building their new shelter for homeless women and their children, the Family Hope Center. In 2005, we provided a $50,000 donation to the Kiwanis International Foundation for the Tsunami Relief efforts in the Indian Ocean region.
Since its incorporation in 1952, our Foundation has awarded over $1 million in grants and scholarships.. In the 2016-2017 fiscal year, a total of $9,000 in grants were awarded to:
- Boys and Girls Club of Allentown
- Community Bike Works
- Community Music School
- Lehigh County Historical Society
- Lehigh Valley Children’s Centers
- Minsi Trails Boy Scouts Council
- Parkland Aquatic Club
- Pratyush Sinha Foundation
- Salvation Army of Allentown
- Visiting Nurses Association of St. Lukes